Wicked surpasses Billy Elliot to become the 16th longest running show in London theatre history.
The hit musical about the Witches of OZ will play its 4567th performance at the Apollo Victoria Theatre tonight, surpassing the triumphant 11 year run of Billy Elliot which closed at the London Victoria Palace Theatre in April last year.
With avid fans still queing outside the theatre for tickets, there seems no end in site for this much loved musical which is soon to be made into a feature film.
Wicked will surpass the long run of We Will Rock You (15th longest, 4,659 performances) in the next 3 months but will have to wait until January 2019 to beat Buddy Holly musical which clocked up 5,140 performances at the Duchess Theatre.
The top 10 longest running shows in London Theatre history are:
1. The Mousetrap,1952 – still running, over 26,945 performances
2. Les Misérables, 1985 – still running, over 13,124 performances
3. The Phantom Of The Opera, 1986 – still running, over 12,793 performances
4. The Woman In Black,1989 – still running, over 11,488 performances
5. Blood Brothers, 1988 – (closed, 10,013 performances)
6. Cats, 1981 – (Original 1981 production / closed 8,949 performances)
7. Mamma Mia!, 1999 – still running, over 7,652 performances
8. Disney’s The Lion King, 1999 – still running, over 7,418 performances
9. Starlight Express, 1984 – (closed, 7,406 performances)
10. No Sex Please, We’re British, 1971 – (closed,6,761 performances)
Wicked is booking until 23 May 2020 at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, London.