The finalists have been announced for the Stiles + Drewe Best New Song Prize 2022, presented by Mercury Musical Developments.
The prize will be announced on 21 November 2023 at The Other Palace Theatre in London.
The prize recognises achievement in musical theatre songwriting and celebrates the talents of composers and lyricists from around the UK.
Established and overseen by acclaimed writing duo George Stiles and Anthony Drewe (Identical, Honk!, Mary Poppins), the Song Prize showcases twelve outstanding songs, selected from 175 entries, from the musicals of tomorrow. The songs from all 12 finalists will be performed at the awards ceremony.
The 2022 finalists are:
- ‘Getting Away With Murder’ from La Vida Loca Latin Dance Musical by Chris Brindle and Rob Jones
- ‘I Don’t Feel Like Me Anymore’ from Snowflake by Lewis Cornay
- ‘Joyce’s Song’ from Falling Skies by Sophie Boyce & Fred Feeney
- ‘Keep Me From Going Under’ from Keep Me From Going Under by Michelle Payne & Emy Parsons
- ‘Lullaby’ from Soul of the Ballad by Chris Poon & Daniel York Loh
- ‘On My Way’ from Hynt (Passage) by Freya Catrin Smith & Jack Williams
- ‘One Last Request’ from The Most Beautiful Suicide by Flora Leo
- ‘Parallel Life’ from The Fan by Karen Bishko & Max Luck
- ‘A Portrait Of Me’ from Dead Reckoning by Lezlie Wade & Scott Christian
- ‘The Inventor’s Daughter’ from The Night Our Parents Disappeared by Andy Room & Oli George Rew
- ‘This Isn’t Magic’ from Galileo: An A Cappella Musical by Dan Mawson & Leo Mercer
- ‘Wheatfield With Crows’ from The Rise and Fall of Vinnie & Paul by Neil Bastian
A panel of industry judges, including George Stiles and Anthony Drewe, will award the prize and the winner gets £1,000 towards developing their work.
Established in 1992, Mercury Musical Developments (MMD) is the UK’s membership organization for writers of musical theatre, dedicated to developing the talents and careers of its members and ensuring a future for British musicals.