The Lastminute.com London Eye has become an iconic landmark on the capital’s skyline.
Since opening in March 2000 The London Eye has become the capital’s number one visitor experience, offering a truly breath-taking, 360-degree view of London.
Gracefully rotating over the River Thames, each capsule provides up to 40 kilometres of views in all directions and offers a stunning perspective on famous landmarks such as the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, St. Paul’s Cathedral, The Shard and Westminster Abbey.
At 135 metres, the Lastminute.com London Eye is the world’s tallest cantilevered observation wheel; a feat of design and engineering it has become the modern symbol representing the capital and a global icon.
Running throughout the day and evening, each trip lasts approximately 30 minutes in one of the 32 high-tech glass capsules. Within each capsule, six touch screens allow you to explore the capital’s iconic landmarks in several languages.
- The design is similar to an enormous bicycle wheel, with a central hub and spindle connected to outer and inner rims by cable spokes.
- You can see around 40km from the top – as far as Windsor Castle on a clear day
- The London Eye can carry 800 guests per rotation – equivalent to 11 London red double decker buses.
- The London Eye receives more visitors annually than ancient wonders of the world like the Taj Mahal, Stonehenge and even the Great Pyramids of Giza.
- There are 32 capsules in total; one for each of the London boroughs. For superstitious reasons they are numbered up to 33, with capsule 13 left out for good luck.
Date: 1 November 2021
Written by: WestEndTheatre
Tags: Coca-Cola London Eye, London Tours and Attractions, The London Eye, visitor attractions