On this day in… 1889
The Garrick Theatre opened in London
Named after the great actor David Garrick, the Garrick Theatre on Charing Cross Road opened on 24 April 1889 with a production of Arthur Wing Pinero’s The Profligate.
Financed by W. S. Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan fame, the theatre was designed by Walter Emden.
Famous shows to have run a the theatre include Mrs Patrick Campbell in Pinero’s The Notorious Mrs. Ebbsmith, J. M. Barrie’s The Wedding Guest, Basil Rathbone in The Edge o’ Beyond, Henry Daniell in Cobra, No Sex Please, We’re British and the National’s production of J. B. Priestley’s An Inspector Calls
- An underground river flows beneath the theatre
- A “lost” gallery level of seating within the theatre still exists, but has long been closed off fro use.
Date: 24 April 2014
Written by: WestEndTheatre
Tags: David Garrick, Garrick Theatre, On This Day, Walter Emden