On this day in… 1705
Her Majesty’s Theatre opened in London.
The first Her Majesty’s Theatre opened as the Queen’s Theatre on 9 April 1705. The Phantom of the Opera is now at the fourth theatre on this site.
The first theatre on the site opened on 9 April 1705 as the Queen’s Theatre, which was then renamed the King’s Theatre in 1714, but sadly burnt down on 17 June 1789.
The second theatre opened on 26 March 1791 as the King’s Theatre, which was renamed to His Majesty’s Theatre, Italian Opera House in 1837, and again renamed to His Majesty’s Theatre in 1847. Once again the theatre then burnt down on 6 December 1867.
The third theatre on the site formerly opened as Her Majesty’s Theatre on 28 April 1877, and was demolished in 1892; the fourth and current theatre opened on 28 April 1897 designed by C. J. Phipps.