CARLOS ACOSTA – PREMIERES PLUS: THE HEART OF CARLOS
London Coliseum, 27-30 July 2011, 7.30pm. Tickets: £15-£75
Box Office: 0871 911 0200 / www.eno.org
The Lowry, Salford 24 & 25 July, 7.30pm. Tickets: £25-£49.50
Box Office: 0843 208 6000 / www.thelowry.com
Birmingham Hippodrome, 17-20 Aug, 7.30pm. Tickets: £11-£45
Box Office: 0844 338 5000 / www.birminghamhippodrome.com
Following sell-out successes at the London Coliseum over the last 4 years, the acclaimed dance superstar Carlos Acosta returns in Summer 2011for four performances only with Premieres Plus: The Heart of Carlos with further performances in Salford and Birmingham.
Now significantly enhanced and reworked from the Premieres staging in 2010, Premieres Plus: The Heart of Carlos features new works and collaborations with major UK & international dance stars and musicians, celebrating Carlos’s astonishing dance vision. This staging is devised and produced by Acosta and combines his outstanding classical technique with some of the most celebrated contemporary works of recent years.
NEW WORKS for Premieres Plus: The Heart of Carlos include:
• Will Tuckett’s On Before, originally created for the Ballet Boyz’s Billy Trevett and Royal Ballet principal Zenaida Yanowsky, and now performed for the first time by Carlos and Zenaida to John Adams’s masterwork Christian Zeal & Activity
• Acosta making his solo debut in Memoria by Rambert Dance Company’s Miguel Altunaga with a score by Mexican electronica composer, Murcof
• A newly revised version of Simon Elliott’s The Emotional Architecture employing emerging digital technology and spectacular 3D digital animation.
Premieres Plus: The Heart of Carlos comprises a packed night of nine major pieces including:
• Russell Maliphant’s masterpiece Two, originally created for Sylvie Guillem, and regarded as one of Maliphant’s most original and inventive pieces
• Kim Brandstrup’s Footnote to Ashton from Brandstrup’s Two Footnotes to Ashton, created for the Royal Ballet in 2005 during the Ashton centenary and is a solo for Zenaida Yanowsky set to Handel’s beautiful aria Per te lasciai luce from the cantata Amoroso Delirium
• Simon Elliot’s Falling Deep Inside, a multimedia commission accompanied by live singing from the renowned Pegasus Choir (London only – local choirs in Birmingham & Salford)
• Edwaard Liang’s Sight Unseen, created in 2006 for Hubbard Street 2 in Chicago, and Hand Duets with George Cespédes & Carlos Acosta, a commission from George Cespédes – just nominated for an Olivier Award 2011 for his work with Danza Contemporanea de Cuba – to a score by Cuban composer Omar Puente
• Morten Lauridsen’s O Magnum Mysterium sees Zenaida and Carlos perform together with the Pegasus Choir.
Release issued by: Anthony McNeill