The National Theatre is to run a series of talks in their Platform series this winter around the new production of Frankenstein.

“Beyond Frankenstein” will see leading figures from arts and science discuss a wide range of topics around the themes and history of Mary Shelley’s original novel, Frankenstein, including discussions by TV physicist Professor Brian Cox and acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin.

The platform series will take place in the National’s Olivier Theatre and is linked to the forthcoming stage adaptation of Mary Shelley’s classic horror novel, directed by  Danny Boyle and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller from 5 February 2011. Frankenstein will also be broadcast live to cinemas across the UK and around the world on 17 March as part of National Theatre Live.

Professor Brian Cox to discuss the science behind Frankenstein

Frankenstein on Film on 24 February will see film historian Kim Newman take a look at movie versions of the Frankenstein tale, including Hollywood’s many interpretations of Shelley’s famous create.

On 4 March, Frankenstein’s Science will feature popular TV scientist Professor Brian Cox (Wonder of the Solar System) in discussion with Romantic biographer Richard Holmes on Mary Shelley’s remarkable exploration of man’s desire to bring life to an inanimate object. They will also explore whether the notion is possible, in both the 19th century and today.

Frankenstein’s Creator: Mary Shelley on 15 March sees award-winning biographer Claire Tomalin offer a glimpse into the life of Mary Shelley. Tomalin wrote the biography of Mary’s mother Mary Wollstonecraft, and will be joined by author of Young Romantics, Daisy Hay.

Finally, Josephine Hart presents Romantic Poetry on 15 April will see the acclaimed novelist and presenter offer star-studded readings that will bring the great romantic-gothic world of Frankenstein to life in the form of the work of Shelley, Byron and their Romantic contemporaries.

In addition to the Beyond Frankenstein platforms, Frankenstein director Danny Boyle and adaptor Nick Dear will discuss their new production on 14 March 2011.

Other platforms running alongside the National’s new season include director Marianne Elliott on her new production of Alan Ayckbourn’s Christmas tale, Bill T Jones on FELA!, Ron Moody on his new memoir, Edward Petherbridge discusses his work, Nicholas Hytner explores the rehearsal process for Hamlet with members of the acting company, there will be a series of afternoon interviews with members of the companies of Twelfth Night and Hamlet, including Rory Kinnear, Clare Higgins, David Calder, Rebecca Hall and Simon Callow, and a series of “in conversations” will feature Mark Gatiss, Catherine Tate and David Troughton.

Book tickets to Frankenstein at the National Theatre

LINKS

News: Frankenstein at the National Theatre
Booking for the National Theatre’s Platforms series