Theatre opened: 14 July 1834 Designed by: Samuel Beazley First production: John Barnett's opera The Mountain Sylph Number of seats: 2000 Other info: The first theatre called the Lyceum was built on an adjacent site to the current venue in 1794. This theatre burnt down on 16 February 1830. When the new theatre was built in 1834 it was initially called the New Theatre Royal, Lyceum and English Opera House. The theatre was long associated with the actor manager Sir Henry Irving and actress Ellen Terry. On 1 July 1939 the theatre closed down following a performance of Hamlet starring John Gielgud. In 1945 the theatre was converted into a Ballroom called the Palais de Dance. In 1996 the theatre was restored and reopened in on 31 October 1996.