The short list for the annual STR Theatre Book prize has been announced with Simon Callow among the nominees for his book Orson Welles: One Man Band.
The Theatre Book Prize is presented annually by the Society for Theatre Research for a book on British or British related theatre which an independent panel of judges considers to be the best published during the year.
The short list for books published in 2015 are:
- 606 William Shakespeare and the Year of King Lear by James Shapiro;
- The Censorship of British Drama 1900-1968 by Steve Nicholson;
- Howard Barker’s Theatre edited by James Reynolds and Andy W. Smith;
- John Osborne by Peter Whitebrook; and,
- Orson Welles: One Man Band by Simon Callow
It was established to encourage the writing and publication of books on theatre history and practice, both those which present the theatre of the past and those which record contemporary theatre for the future.
The judges for the STR Theatre Book Prize are:
- Sam Walters, theatre director, founder and until recently artistic director of the Orange Tree Theatre, Richmond;
- Sarah Hemming, theatre critic for the Financial Times; and,
- Colin Chambers, Professor Emeritus Kingston University, formerly Literary Manager at the Royal Shakespeare Company and author among many books of the winner of the first Theatre Book Prize, awarded in 1997 for his The Life of Margaret Ramsay, Play Agent.
The winner of the 2015 STR Theatre Book Prize will be announced on 22nd April 2016 at a reception at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane when the judges will speak about the books and the awards will be presented by actress and author Siân Phillips who was herself a judge for the prize in 2007.