London’s top Backstage Tours
Five of the best: London’s top Backstage Tours to enjoy in and around the West End
Going behind the curtain can be an eye-opening experience. The sheer scale of West End theatres such as Drury Lane, the National or the Royal Opera House is hugely impressive and a backstage tour is a great opportunity to see the hidden world of costume departments, scene-building and technical magic.
- National Theatre
- Insight into the backstage life of the UK's national theatre complex.
- South Bank, London, SE1 9PX (Map)
- Tel: 020 7452 3400
- Theatre Royal Drury Lane
- This historic theatre site has been in use since the 1660s. Explore this enormous theatre's backstage area and learn more about its history.
- Catherine Street, London, WC2B 5JF (Map)
- Tel: 0870 890 1109
- Royal Opera House
- A fascinating peek into the workings of one of the world's great theatres.
- Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9DD (Map)
- Tel: 020 7304 4000
- Shakespeare's Globe
- A tour of the theatre and exhibition entry to the recreation of Shakespeare's theatre
- 21 New Globe Walk, London , SE1 9DT (Map)
- Tel: 020 7902 1500
- London Coliseum
- Explore Frank Matcham's masterpiece theatre and home to English National Opera.
- St. Martin's Lane, London, WC2N 4ES (Map)
- Tel: 020 7845 9300